From rmcw at allmail.net Fri Oct 2 08:48:54 2026 From: rmcw at allmail.net (Robert McWilliam) Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2026 09:48:54 +0100 Subject: [57North-Discuss] MQTT broker for doorbot Message-ID: <53720358-4a8f-40a9-8cb7-e7616afbeb4f@app.fastmail.com> Hi, Doorbot<->hackhub comms currently uses free "serverless" MQTT broker from HiveMQ. HiveMQ are going to be switching off that service at the end of December. So we will need to migrate to something else before then if we want the door to keep working. I have been planning to move off this for a while (it wasn't great to be using a broker that only I could access). Maybe having a deadline will actually get me to do something. Or does anyone else want to sort this out? Robert ________________________________________________________ Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net argh.technology I go the extra mile. Usually because I missed the turning I was supposed to take. From hibby at debian.org Fri Oct 2 10:31:02 2026 From: hibby at debian.org (Hibby) Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2026 11:31:02 +0100 Subject: [57North-Discuss] MQTT broker for doorbot In-Reply-To: <53720358-4a8f-40a9-8cb7-e7616afbeb4f@app.fastmail.com> References: <53720358-4a8f-40a9-8cb7-e7616afbeb4f@app.fastmail.com> Message-ID: <03868f60-38d1-4424-bada-ce1066d67e91@app.fastmail.com> There's MQTT via Home Assistant already, so that's at least something *in space*. Would this be solved by a VPN or similar? We could tailnet the space! -- Dave Hibberd Debian Developer Packet Radioist MM0RFN On Fri, 2 Oct 2026, at 9:48 AM, Robert McWilliam via Discuss wrote: > Hi, > > Doorbot<->hackhub comms currently uses free "serverless" MQTT broker > from HiveMQ. > > HiveMQ are going to be switching off that service at the end of > December. So we will need to migrate to something else before then if > we want the door to keep working. > > I have been planning to move off this for a while (it wasn't great to > be using a broker that only I could access). Maybe having a deadline > will actually get me to do something. > > Or does anyone else want to sort this out? > > Robert > > ________________________________________________________ > Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net argh.technology > > I go the extra mile. > Usually because I missed the turning I was supposed to take. > > -- > Please note the change in mailing list domain to @57north.org.uk > > Discuss mailing list > Discuss at 57north.org.uk > http://57north.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/discuss_57north.org.uk From hibby at debian.org Fri Oct 2 10:44:01 2026 From: hibby at debian.org (Hibby) Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2026 11:44:01 +0100 Subject: [57North-Discuss] Hackerspace Sunday (4th October) Message-ID: Hello friends! Does anyone want to come to the hacklab on Sunday? Probably 11am onwards knowing me. I have a list as long as my arm! Highlights of this weekend's ideas are: I would like to change some things in the layout of the hackerspace. I would like to take some stuff to the dump in the back of my car. I would like a mcdonalds when driving back from said dump. I would like to tidy some things up in the space freed. I would like to just do some stuff while I'm there too. Layouting, I'm not sure but: The music area is a disaster with 12 million speakers and random stainless JBs and so on, can we throw a lot of the speakers and AV receivers out? The Windows PC needs solidified it's a bit neglected atm The network rack and table with weather station and ham radio nonsense on it is in a bit of a weird location and covered in stuff, can this be better I would like to move that photo printer from the vague location it lives in just now The soldering stations could use better organisation of the new stuff tom brought us, can this be improved? General tidy is needed -- Dave Hibberd Debian Developer Packet Radioist MM0RFN